Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Chana Masala - Chickpea Stew with Tomatoes

Pin It Now!

I seldom prepare Indian food as my family not fans of spices and spicy food. As a child I being expose to chilies and I love spicy food. However due to health problem I have reduced my chili consumption. No more chilies in every meal like older days.

I love dishes flavoring with spices. For me it is kind of comfort food and has great sensation eating them. Although it is time consuming in the preparation it is worth the effort.  

I'm glad I tried this chana masala. I received good feedback for this dish. Like other Indian cuisine this recipe uses garam masala which I can't buy at my place. After knowing its' ingredients I prepared garam masala on my own. It basically contains coriander seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, fennel seeds, cloves, cumin, bay leaf and few more. It may different in every household as they have their own special mix of spices. These spices are toasted and ground to a fine powder. Do refer Wendy's post on how to prepare garam masala.

According to Wiki, Chana masala also known as chole masala or channay (plural) is a popular Punjabi dish in Indian cuisine and Pakistani cuisine. The main ingredient is chickpeas cook together with onion, chopped tomatoes, coriander seed, garlic, chillies, ginger, dried mango powder (amchur), crushed pomegranate seed (anardana) and garam masala. It is fairly dry and spicy with a sour citrus note. I used whatever spices I can find along with some curry leaves.

Adapted with changes from Smitten Kitchen
Chana Masala
Ingredients:
(A)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 fresh, hot green chili pepper, minced
2 springs of curry leaves

(B)
1 tablespoon ground coriander (used seeds and ground)
2 teaspoons ground cumin (used seeds and ground)
½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (omit)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tablespoon amchoor powder (omit)
2 teaspoons paprika (omit)
1 teaspoon garam masala

(C)
5 medium size tomatoes, chopped small
2/3 cup water
2 cups dried chickpeas (soaked overnight and cook with pressure cooker till soft)
½ teaspoon salt
½ lemon (juiced)

Method:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and pepper and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add in curry leaves and stir to mix.

2. Turn heat down to medium-low and add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, turmeric, cumin seeds, amchoor, paprika and garam masala. Cook onion mixture with spiced for a minute or two.


3. Then add the tomatoes, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the pan. Add the water and chickpeas. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, then stir in salt and lemon juice.


I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - Indian Subcontinent hosted by Chef and Sommelier

6 comments:

  1. Hi Vivian! Thanks for your support! Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only developed a liking for chick peas a few years ago. Now, I love them so this looks tempting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian, it has been awhile I didn't see you posting recipes. Now I see all is alright with you. I eat chickpeas either boiled or steamed. With the spices these chickpeas should be good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi vivian, i thought of making this earlier too, bought a can of garbanzo beans but nvr made it, so now i guess will either save that beans to make this later or make hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For lots of people, there is an opportunity that you have actually come across vape containers. smok alien so what are they? These are vital tools if you intend to appreciate vaping on another degree. These are devices which produce a great preference as well as enhance the amount of vapor as well as they are the major reason that vapor has actually ended up being very popular nowadays. This is added mainly by a variety of elements. These include:smok stick v8

    The kind of coil which is extremely essential relying on the results that you desire.
    Flavor. The flavor is essential especially for individuals who truly love it. The best sets to go with here will certainly e the mouth to lung coils as well as also the ohm kinds which are the best.vape juice
    If you enjoy cloud dimension, after that you can go for sub-ohm coils. This is because they have a tendency to boost the amount of air movement thus attaining a larger cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Did you know that crystals can change the state of your life? I have been using crystals for 10 years, I can share knowledge about crystals and gemstones with you. I'm going to hold some sharing activities about crystal knowledge. If you can't find crystal shops near me, follow me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...